The Manufacturing Advancement Center

About MAC
The Next Generation Manufacturer Newsletter
Upcoming Programs
Resource Library
Contact Us

Send a Letter
to the Editor

Workforce Development

Sales Are Up…Skills Still Lagging

Manufacturing is experiencing an uptick in activity. I know that because the Institute for Supply Management’s Purchasing Managers Index continues to climb and my phone has been ringing non-stop. Once again manufacturers are hiring and finding it difficult to find employees with even the basic technical skills necessary in manufacturing.

Approximately 70% of manufacturing skills are basic and universal to all manufacturing occupations. Training in these foundational skills prepares the employee for more advanced, job specific training. The employer provides the other 30% of the skills that are required to develop a technically competent employee during on-the-job training (OJT).

By preparing both the trainer and the trainee, the Massachusetts Manufacturing Extension Partnership Workforce Skills Development System can address “foundational skills” needs and job specific skill requirements, and assist the employer in the most effective methods for OJT knowledge transfer.

Basic Manufacturing Skills – On-Site, Flexible Scheduling
This class provides the foundation for more advanced technical skills training. The curriculum includes Shop Math, Blueprinting, and Metrology. Instructor led class covers basic math concepts and terms, arithmetic operations, line drawings, special part features and configurations, hands on use of tools and measurement of product parts. It is recommended that anyone participating in advanced technical training take this foundation/refresher course prior to enrollment.

Shop Math: Students will be able to understand basic math concepts and terms as well as recognize the symbols that represent them. They will be able to solve basic problems with and without the use of a calculator. Students will be able to compute basic mathematical equations required to perform related tasks on the shop floor.

Blueprint Reading: Students learn how to read and interpret technical drawings (blueprints). They gain a fundamental understanding of the critical role the technical drawing plays with respect to work process, quality control and a product’s critical features.

Metrology: Attain a basic level of competency in the use of precision measurement tools that will allow them to monitor and validate the production outputs related to the precision parts making process. Students gain a solid foundation of knowledge and skill in performing measurements and calculations. The student learns to use precision measurement tools, such as steel rule, tape measure, protractor, micrometer, height gage, calipers and dial indicators. Students gain proficiency selecting the proper tools for inspecting parts and in preparing quality control inspection reports.
The curriculum is modular and customizable to suit particular needs of your process. MassMEP will work with your company to schedule classes to have a minimal impact on production.

Call Leslie Parady or Ted Bauer at MassMEP to schedule a visit to discuss your needs. 508-831-7020.

Have an Opinion?
Have an opinion to share? Send a Letter to the Editor.


Home | About MAC | Next Gen Manufacturer Newsletter
Upcoming Programs | Toolbox | Resource Library | Partners | Contact Us

© Copyright , Manufacturing Advancement Center
100 Grove Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA, Privacy Policy
Developed by Telesian Technology