Job Opening: Director of Lean Operations, Maynard, MA
Powell Flutes is looking for a Director of Lean Operations to transform Operations so that they live by lean concepts and continue to produce the highest quality musical instruments in the world within a price category. This person will continually improve the competitiveness of Powell's operating capabilities in order to support future growth and outstanding customer service. This position reports to the Vice President Finance.
Powell Flutes has two primary divisions:
- Under the name "Verne Q. Powell" we have been a leading producer of professional quality flutes since 1927. We work in silver, gold, platinum, and wood, and are regarded by many as the Stradivarius of flutes.
- Our Sonaré Winds division was established in 2002 to design and market proprietary wind instruments by partnering with boutique instrument makers and outsourcing the majority of the manufacturing. Currently Sonaré offers a variety of flutes and trumpets. Additional instruments are in the design stage.
- Improve inventory turnover to 4x per year.
- Improve inventory accuracy to +-1% of physical inventory value.
- Implement comprehensive inspection and QA systems, including quality ratings that measurably improve quality and reduce scrap and reject rates.
- Achieve 95% on-time delivery for all products.
- Improve gross margins by 3% a year for the next 3 years.
- Create an environment where lean manufacturing concepts are embraced, and create learning opportunities for all operations employees.
- Supervise purchasing, receiving, and shipping either directly or through subordinates.
- Continue to educate Powell workers about lean.
- Plan the physical reorganization of the workshop to optimize lean operations. Oversee any leasehold improvements that result from the physical reorganization.
- Account for 100% of all gold and silver scrap. If there is shrinkage, implement improved security measures to detect.
- Standard bench tools setups, etc.
- Benchmarking and best practices in all departments.
- Equipment maintenance schedules.
- Work with Project Engineer and Machine Shop Manager to investigate and evaluate new equipment, tools, and/or procedures to achieve improvement.
- Back up the V.P. of Manufacturing.
- College degree, preferably in engineering.
- Project leadership for lean manufacturing implementation projects.
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience in a lean manufacturing environment.
- Familiarity with at least 2 MRP/ERP systems.
- Master scheduling experience preferred.
- APICS or equivalent certification in lean manufacturing preferred.
- Track record of success, career progress, and job longevity.
Commensurate with experience and salary history. Powell pays for the majority of excellent medical and dental plans, and for insurance policies which include short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance. All 401(k) administrative fees are paid 100% by the company. We offer Commuter Rail Pass assistance and Day Care assistance programs. Check us out on the web at www.powellflutes.com
For more information:
Maria Stefanova, Director of Human Resources
Verne Q. Powell Flutes, Inc.
1 Clock Tower Place
Maynard, MA 01754