Manager for Prepress, Boston, MA
National Braille Press is seeking a Manager for Prepress to report to the Vice President for Operations. This person will manage our prepress production to ensure on-time delivery, a high quality product, and continuous improvement.
- High-level supervisory and leadership abilities; at least 6 years experience
- Understanding or ability to adopt Lean Manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques
- Excellent communication skills; ability to explain issues clearly and concisely and establish effective working relationships
- Display good judgment, decision-making ability, and control under pressure
- Able to produce quality projects in a timely manner
- Strong analytical aptitude and troubleshooting capabilities
- Positive role model
- Proficient skills in Word, Excel, e-mail, web searches, databases; macro writing is strongly preferred; Quark and Pagemaker is a plus
- Knowledge of braille transcription or usage preferred. Note: It is extraordinary to consider candidates who do not possess braille competency by means of its usage or associated background; however considerations will be given to candidates if above criteria is strong enough and it is evident braille can be learned quickly.
- Background in literature and/or editing helpful
- Supervise the Prepress Team
Coordinate onsite staff and 30 remote braillists to meet quality and delivery standards; establish formal training program; recommend and make approved staffing changes; convey upper management goals and policies to staff; convey staff needs to upper management; foster a companywide, team approach; promote National Braille Press in recruitment of contracting braillists. Travel to, and coordination of, conferences and seminars will be required.
- Schedule Production and Report
Take responsibility for department production scheduling, working closely with Manager for Press and Post Press in doing so; compile routine and special reports.
- Manage Approved Change
Implement lean manufacturing techniques; standardize, document, and adhere to process steps; reconfigure staffing, work space and equipment; drive to maximize the effective application of computer technology to braille transcription.
- Know Industry Best Practices
Become certified in braille; thoroughly understand each of our production steps with ability to carry out production steps if capacity is not adequate; keep abreast of industry innovations and recommend adoption as appropriate. Travel will be required.
Salary Range: $50,000 – $66,000
Status/Schedule: Exempt / Full time / Permanent M through F, business hours; modification in schedule may be required
For more information:
National Braille Press
88 Saint Stephen Street
Boston, MA 02115